Monday, September 13, 2010

Broccoli Salad

I generally do not like raw broccoli, raw onions, or raisins, so why am I posting a recipe which has all three ingredients you might ask--because this broccoli salad is wonderful! I believe my fear of broccoli salad originated from attending potlucks. There would always be this strange green mixture sitting on the table starring back at me that did not look appealing to me at all. One day I was feeling brave and decided to try the dreaded green mixture, it turns out it was delicious and I had been depriving myself of broccoli salad goodness for far too long. I decided with a few small modifications broccoli salad was actually something I could really enjoy.

Since I am the one who does all the cooking in our household (our kitchen stays much cleaner that way :) ), I am the one who does all of the meal planning. There are not too many things that Russell will not eat so I am able to try out a lot of new things. I knew that this broccoli salad was delicious but for some reason, although I knew he would eat it, I was still afraid if Russell was going to like it or not. Not only did he eat it but he went back for seconds and commented on how good it was! Broccoli salad in our house has been deemed a success.

Ingredients:

Salad Ingredients:
  • 1 large head of broccoli, cut into flowerettes and stem pieces
  • 1 pound of bacon, fried and crumbled (I used Maple flavored bacon)
  • 1 cup of sunflower seeds (optional, I chose to omit)
  • 1/2 white onion chopped (depending on your taste you may prefer more)
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vinegar
Directions:

Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Combine salad ingredients and toss.

Add dressing and mix well. Chill for several hours to blend flavors before serving.

This is another recipe I requested from my sister, she got it from a friend who adapted it from this recipe: All Recipes: Broccoli Salad
Back to Top