Thursday, September 09, 2010

Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta

Simplicity is key in our house when it comes to a weeknight meal. Although I love to cook, once Russell gets home from work and I begin to prepare dinner, I do not want to spend all of my time in the kitchen. This Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta is a simple meal to prepare yet it is so delicious. Because of our love for pasta dishes, I am always on the lookout for new pasta recipes to try. Once I came across this recipe I knew I had to try it- it certainly did not disappoint.

Ingredients:
  • 2- 9oz packages of cheese tortellini
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 pint cheery tomatoes, halved
  • 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
  • 1 cup tomato basil pasta sauce (I used approx. 1 1/2 cups)
  • 4 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
  • 1/4 cup basil, chopped (I used dried because it was what I had on hand)
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (used for topping pasta)
Directions:

Boil cheese tortellini pasta according to package directions, approximately 8-10 minutes.

In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil, add garlic, and cook about a minute.

Add tomatoes and spinach to garlic, stirring frequently. Spinach should cook down and tomatoes should be tender. Add sauce and let simmer for about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl add pasta. While pasta is still warm add cream cheese and basil. Stir until creamy. Add tomato sauce mixture and stir until well combined. Add to serving dish and top with parmesan.

Back to Top