Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Banana Bread


For some reason I find myself craving banana bread as the weather gets cooler. What is truly better than a warm piece of banana bread just out of the oven on a cool winter afternoon? When I first found this recipe and saw that it was titled “The Best Banana Bread,” I admit I was somewhat skeptical, but since I was still searching for my "go-to" banana bread recipe I decided to give it a try. This recipe calls for 5-6 ripe bananas, which gives it a wonderful banana flavor. Russell loves what my sister-in-law likes to call “floaties," aka chopped nuts, in his banana bread but I do not--this recipe is perfect because it makes two loaves, one of which I can add nuts and one without! This will definitely be my "go to" banana bread recipe from now on...it is so moist and delicious.



Banana Bread


Printer-Friendly Version


Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 cups mashed bananas (approximately 5-6 ripe bananas)
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon- set aside.

In a separate medium bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add applesauce, bananas, and eggs. Mix until just incorporated.

Add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated- do not over mix! If you are adding chopped nuts, fold them into the batter with a spatula. If you are only adding them to one loaf, fill one loaf pan with batter and then add 1/2 cup chopped nuts to the remaining batter.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with few to no crumbs when inserted into the center of the loaf. Enjoy!

Back to Top