Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lemon Garlic Tuna Burgers

I have never really liked tuna--tuna salad sandwiches, tuna noodle casserole, really anything containing canned tuna causes me to run far away. I honestly have no idea what made me bookmark this recipe; perhaps its simplicity, or maybe because it has lemon and garlic (two of my favorite ingredients). Whatever the reason I’m glad I gave it a try! These burgers were so delicious that Russell and I fought for the last burger and, after he lost, he asked me to make them again the very next night. I was a little worried about how these would hold together but they were absolutely perfect! We both found them perfectly moist on the inside with just the right amount of crispiness on the outside. I served them on toasted honey wheat sandwich thins topped with lemon sour cream (recipe below). I will definitely be making these again!



Ingredients:
  • 12 ounce can of tuna fish, drained and flaked
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
  • 3 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • juice of half a lemon
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 4 of your favorite honey wheat buns (I used honey wheat sandwich thins)
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • lettuce or baby spinach, if desired

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine tuna, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, sour cream, and egg in a medium bowl. Mix well and form into 4 patties.

Place patties on a greased baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes.

Serve burgers on toasted honey wheat buns topped with lemon sour cream*, a tomato slice and lettuce or baby spinach. Enjoy!

*To make lemon sour cream, combine approximately 3 tablespoons of sour cream with fresh squeezed lemon juice and salt to taste. This is a great compliment to the flavors in the tuna burgers.

Back to Top