Thursday, April 14, 2011

“Waldorf Style" Chicken Salad

I am very lucky because Russell will try anything once. He is always willing to try any of my crazy new recipes. But, at heart, he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. With that in mind, I always put a lot of pressure on myself to prepare a hearty meal for dinner. I also tend to (unintentionally) categorize lighter meals as “only for lunch”. This is one of those recipes I had relegated to an “only for lunch” status. However, when Russell found out the chicken in the refrigerator was for chicken salad he was quite excited and asked me to make it for dinner that night. He loved it and so did I!

The apple adds a crispness that gives the chicken salad a great crunch, and the craisins add a little sweetness. You could also add halved grapes, pecans, or walnuts. We ate it on hawaiian rolls for dinner and the next day I ate some atop a salad with a mini croissant on the side. I think this chicken salad would also be great served on a croissant. Whichever way you choose to serve it I promise, it is delicious! Both Russell and I are both wishing I had doubled the recipe.

Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breasts, diced
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3-4 tablespoons craisins (dried, sweetened cranberries)
  • 1 apple, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a medium sized bowl, combine mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.

Add in chicken, apple, and craisins. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve on Hawaiian rolls, croissants, or on top of mixed greens.

Back to Top